Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pictured Memories


When thinking back to my childhood, many things pop out to me, but some of my fondest memories were being read to by my sister, teachers, and librarians.

One of my favorite books as a kid was Five Little Monkeys. I always found that picture book hilarious. I mean, why would the monkeys still jumping on the bed if their siblings are all falling off? In retrospect, I guess it was funny because I was at that age where everything was hilarious.           

Another amazing picture book, at least to me, was James and the Giant Peach. I love that book, almost as much as the movie. Like I said before my sister usually read to me when I was young, but occasionally I read on my own, seeing as most picture books weren’t that sophisticated in its grammar. Even though the grammar in the picture books weren’t to terribly hard, it didn’t mean the story wasn’t deep. All picture books usually have a good plot and wise theme, for example Snow White taught children not to talk to strangers. Picture books always have an underling meaning, to teach what and what not to do, in an entertaining way.

As a kid picture books were an easier way to use my imagination, not that I didn’t have one, I mean I was a kid. But I have learned many ways to use my imagination in a productive way like art, I love art and I think that reading picture books as a child had something to do with it. If you’ve ever read Eric Carls book The Very Hungry Caterpillar you would definitely understand what I mean.

Picture books are the foundation of my childhood and who I am today, they’ve also taught me a lot of things, that without I would be unsafe. Picture books are amazing I hope you’ve had the chance to encounter one.

No comments:

Post a Comment